BETWEEN them, they have racked up more than 120 years of voluntary work.
Now, in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Year, Joyce Robinson, 84, and Reg Norton, 78, have been honoured for the 60 years they have each given to helping others.
The pair were given their awards by the mayor of Fareham Trevor Cartwright at the annual volunteers awards organised by the Fareham Volunteer Centre.
Mrs Robinson was honoured for her recent involvement with the Open Sight charity for the blind.
But she has been involved in numerous groups and charities over the decades, from the Brownies to the Wrens’ Association and the Women’s Institute.
She said: ‘It’s the first time I’ve excelled at anything, it’s just something I’ve always dabbled in.
‘I don’t know I need an award because I get so much out of volunteering, I get to have so much fun.
‘I don’t like blowing my own trumpet.
‘Volunteering gives you a new lease of life. I get more pleasure out of it than I put in – I cannot understand why some people don’t do it.
Mr Norton was nominated for his work with the Crofton Lions, where he is president and which he helped establish.
He has also helped with Talking News for the Blind, as a community care driver, school governor, and with Fareham’s twin town associations.
He said ‘I have met hundreds of fascinating people and I have many happy memories.
‘When you do voluntary work it is obviously not for financial gain but somehow you do gain – I’ve gained many friends, skills and knowledge, and a whole lot of wonderful experiences.’
They were two of more than 50 volunteers from 24 local groups, who were honoured at the awards event.
For more information about getting involved in volunteering in Fareham call 01329 231899 or go to farehamaction.org.uk
VOLUNTEER AWARD WINNERS
· Catch 22, Alan Davis
· Fareham Conservation Volunteers, John Fairhurst, Anne Fairhurst
· Fareham College, Erika Sillence
· Fareham Community Transport, Gilbert Thomas
· Fareham Leg Care Centre, Viki Wilcox
· Fareham Shopmobility, Mike Conquer
· Fareham Voluntary Car Scheme, Terry Gillespie, Donald Hughes, Brian Roberson, Julie Thomas, Peter Trott
· Fareham Volunteer Centre, Brenda Jeynes, Stuart Park
· Fareham Walking for Health, Ray Blandford
· Friends of Brookfield School, Caroline Prince
· Harbourside Training, James Musselwhite
· Hearing Dogs for Deaf People South Hants Fundraising Branch, Christine Seward
· Henry Cort Community College, June Powell
· Home-Start Gosport & Fareham, Susan Hamilton
· Lions Club of Crofton Peter Holder, Nelson Sclater, Mike Shipley, Victoria Stabler
· Merryfields Children’s Centre, Elaine Clark, Chantelle Slack, Jacqueline Thompson
· Open Sight, Graham Dyer, Bob Lacy, Marjorie Wise,
· Open Sight Fareham, Norman Roberts, Joyce Robinson
· Parkinsons UK Fareham & District Branch, Carol Howell
· SNAP Dance Night, Su Davies, Sheila Davies, Steve Faulkner, Matthew Heard, Judith Heard, Claire Jacques, Gary Mawers, Darryl Presdee, Sandra Price, Anne Stevens, Alan Tottle, Alistair Treacy
· Stars in the Sky, Hayley Ostler
· The Moving On Project, David McLarty
· Y Services for Young People, Oasis Youth Club, Daniel Oliver
· Fareham Walking 4 Health Walk Leaders
· Communicare Coffee Shop Volunteers
· Broadlaw Community Space Volunteers
· Fareham Lions ClubFareham Park Residents Group, Community Chatters
· Lions Club of Crofton