Leigh Park woman rescued after leaving chip pan on

Portchester Fire Station

UPDATE: Six crews put out house fire in North End

Have your say

A WOMAN was rescued from her flat after falling asleep with a chip pan on.

Firefighters were called after a neighbour heard the smoke alarm going off.

Crews went to the property in Billy Lawn Avenue, Leigh Park, after being called at 12.15am yesterday.

Havant crews wearing breathing apparatus took her outside before putting out the fire in the kitchen.

The woman was treated by medics at the scene but didn’t need hospital treatment.

The second-floor flat, in Bournemouth House, was damaged by smoke.

Watch manager Martyn Elliott, of Havant fire station, said: ‘The neighbour noticed that the smoke alarm was going off.

‘The smoke alarm raised the alarm and in this case the alarm is what saved the lady’s life.

‘She was treated at the scene by ambulance staff, but wasn’t taken to hospital.’

Mr Elliott emphasised the need for residents to check their alarms regularly in order to keep safe.

‘The alarm in this case ensured the incident was not serious,’ he said.

‘People need to check their smoke alarms to make sure they are working.’