Here is everything we know so far.
- Emergency services were called at 2.25pm to reports of a collision involving a pedestrian and a car, in London Road in North End.
- On arrival police closed part of the road between Stubbington Avenue and Kingston Crescent, diverting traffic through the side streets.
- An ambulance was called and paramedics helped to treat a woman in her 60s at the scene. Police said that she had been hit by the car but the vehicle had not stopped at the scene.
Emergency crews battling to save someone’s life on Southsea seafront
People warned not to go to popular beach this weekend unless they have booking
Southsea seafront incident: Police update after man found 'unresponsive'
Police update on probe into death of ‘Wiggy’ Symes after fatal dog attack in Fareham
River Ems crisis: Westbourne villagers plead with Portsmouth Water to introduce a hosepipe ban
- Officers later confirmed the car involved, a Honda Insight, had been found.
- The woman was taken to the major trauma centre at University Hospital Southampton.Â South Central Ambulance Service said she suffered serious head injuries in the accident.
- The road was reopened shortly after 4pm and traffic has since returned to normal levels.
- Police have said a man from Portsmouth has been arrested in connection with the incident and is in custody at this time.