Man arrested for drink-driving after van injures three

The white van embedded in shrubbery by a bus stop. Picture: Andrew Cooper
The white van embedded in shrubbery by a bus stop. Picture: Andrew Cooper

Government sells off HMS Ocean for £84m

Have your say

A 48-YEAR-OLD man was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after a van was driven on to a pavement and hit a group of people.

The incident happened near the traffic light crossing on Goldsmith Avenue, Southsea close to Fratton Bridge, at about 5.50pm yesterday.

Three ambulances, two fire engines and the police, were called to deal with the incident.

The road was closed while paramedics tended to the 
injured, who were taken to 
Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham.

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Constabulary said: ‘A white Volkswagen panel van went on to the pavement, which is where three pedestrians were.

‘The driver – a 48-year-old male – was detained at the scene for a positive breath test for alcohol.’

One crew from Southsea fire station and one from Cosham attended.

Southsea watch manager Rob Dellow said: ‘We believe the driver of the van had been coming down Fratton Road, went over the bridge, turned left at the roundabout, and that’s where the van went on to the pavement.

‘His vehicle was stopped from crashing through the bridge wall and on to the train tracks by a traffic light control box.

‘However, it meant there were live wires exposed.

‘We were at the scene for about an hour and a half, to ensure the area was safe.’

Three people were taken to hospital.

A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said: ‘We were called at 5.49pm to reports of a van going into a group of people off Fratton bridge.

‘Two helicopters were sent, but were stood down.

‘Three ambulances attended, and three patients, all in their early 20s were spinal-boarded and taken to QA.

‘Their injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.’

The incident caused delays for motorists at the busy junction.

Carina Morgan, an assistant at the Lord George Amusements, in Fratton Road, said: ‘The traffic was more or less at a standstill, and there were traffic queues backing up past the shop.’