Man died in care home after overdose

A man with a lengthy history of drug and alcohol problems died at the charity care home he was living in after a drug overdose.

Gary Hall had been in and out of various rehabilitation programmes throughout his adult life.

At the time of his death he was living in a home run by the Southern Focus Trust, which looks after people with mental health problems or are homeless.

The 31-year-old was found dead in his bed at the house in Grove Road, Fareham, by a friend early in the morning of March 9.

The day before he had been complaining of feeling unwell and went to a doctor, but the GP did not know what was wrong with him.

A post-mortem examination discovered potentially fatal levels of both methadone and mirtazapine, an anti-depressant, in his blood.

He was also in an early stage of bronchial pneumonia, but this was not thought to have been a contributory factor to his death.

Trust support worker Faye Lovett told an inquest he would not have had access to extra methadone while he was at the home, but he could have gone out unsupervised in the evening.

Portsmouth and South East coroner David Horsley recorded a verdict of misuse of drugs.