Man found on tracks near Fratton Station ‘had fallen off wall’

Ambulances at Fratton Station. Picture: Alan Cooper
Ambulances at Fratton Station. Picture: Alan Cooper
  • Man injured in early-moring accident
  • It is not beleived he was hit by a train
  • Electricty was shut down during rescue operation
Have your say

A man found injured on tracks near Fratton Station is believed to have fallen from a wall.

British Transport Police have given few details of the incident in which the man suffered serious head injuries yesterday morning.

Although it has not been confirmed, The News understands the man may have been walking along the top of a wall near the station in Portsmouth and slipped on to the tracks.

Hundreds of commuters faced long delays as ambulances and the police were called shortly before 6.30am.

Power lines were switched off and trains came to a standstill as emergency workers found a 21-year-old man lying beside the tracks near the station.

He was treated at the scene before being taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham.

Officers are now investigating the circumstances surrounding how he received these injures.

Hampshire Constabulary

A police spokesman said they did not believe the man had been hit by a train.

He said: ‘Officers found a 21-year-old man with serious injuries.

‘Officers are now investigating the circumstances surrounding how he received these injures.’

A South Central Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: ‘We were called in at 6.28am to reports of a male on the railway line at Fratton station. We sent quite a few resources to the scene including three ambulance crews, an ambulance officer, a rapid response vehicle and a doctor. They treated the male for head injuries.’

A South West Trains spokesman said: ‘Services travelling between Portsmouth and Havant faced delays following an incident near Fratton station.

‘As a result, power to some of the lines was switched off to allow emergency services to attend and trains were unable to run.’

Railway staff were helping to organise taxis for commuters to connect to Havant, Portchester and Fareham stations.

One commuter, who did not wish to be named, said she arrived at the station at 7am and had been waiting for more than 90 minutes.

On her way to Petersfield, she said she was one of many people who had been made late for work due to the incident.

She said: ‘There were a lot of ambulances here and everything was closed.

‘There were a lot of people waiting.’