Man taken to hospital after first-floor flat fire in Portsmouth

editorial image
Flowers are placed at the main gate of police headquarters in Carcassonne, France,  (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)

Portsmouth reacts to ‘heartbreaking’ death of hero police officer killed by terrorist

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a Southsea flat that started when food was left unattended on the cooker caught fire last night.

The male occupant was assisted from the first-floor property and was taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation.

The fire destroyed the kitchen of the property in the converted house in Worthing Road, Southsea and caused smoke damage to the rest of the flat, at around 10.20pm.

Occupants of nine flats were evacuated while three fire engines - one from Southsea and two from Cosham - dealt with the fire.

The incident was over by 11.40pm.