A MAN who died after being electrocuted on an artificial football pitch last night has been named.
The tragedy unfolded when emergency services rushed to where Albert Xhediku, 34, was unconscious after he suffered an electric shock.
However, he died after being taken to hospital and the coroner today confirmed it had been informed of Mr Xhediku’s death.
An investigation has been launched by Parkwood Community Leisure, which operates Mountbatten Leisure Centre where Mr Xhediku died.
The driver, who works for private hire firm City Wide Taxis in Portsmouth, left his silver Vauxhall Vectra work vehicle in the car park, where it remains.
Passers-by saw paramedics desperately try and give him CPR last night shortly after they got the call at 6.30pm, arriving to a scene where the lights were out.
Police have cordoned off the 3G-turfed seven-a-side playing area, which has a metal cage surrounding it.
Detective Inspector Paul Southey, of the major crime unit, is investigating the death.
He said: ‘The area remains cordoned off and will remain so for the rest of today as our investigations continue.
‘We are keen to speak to anyone who thinks they have any information which could be relevant to this incident.’
Hampshire Constabulary said it was looking into the ‘possibility that he was electrocuted’.
Police have today confirmed the man was 34, not 35 as police previously said,
He died at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth after the incident on the outside pitch at the centre.
A spokesman at Portsmouth Coroner’s Office said they had been informed of Mr Xhediku’s death.
His family have been informed, and Parkwood Community Leisure confirmed earlier today that it was not one of their workers who died.
The Health and Safety Executive have been informed, but have no involvement at this stage.
The incident saw a passing police officer flagged down before he then alerted his colleagues.
Locals took to social media to express the shock and surprise at what happened as the drama unfolded.
Emma Walker, on Facebook, wrote: ‘R.I.P thoughts are with family and friends. But how the heck did that happen? Did he walk into something? Poor guy, 35 is no age to die.’
Natalie Cook added: ‘RIP. Thoughts are with the family and friends at this sad time, what a sad way to start the year gone too soon xx.’
Southern Electric Power Distribution said its engineers had attended to ensure the area was safe.
Call police on 101, quoting Operation Secure, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.