A MOTHER has paid tribute to her ‘happy and loving’ son who died from a stroke after facing a long battle with drug use and mental health problems.
Wayne Smith died from a stroke after taking a fatal amount of amphetamine, an inquest heard.
The 43-year-old was found dead at a house in Kimbridge Crescent on January 13 by his friend Jason Davis, who was also at the property. He fell asleep and woke to find Mr Smith unresponsive.
The court heard how Mr Smith was diagnosed with schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses and had chest problems.
A doctor’s report revealed he had attempted overdoses and self-harm in the past. He was known to regularly take drugs, including amphetamines.
PC Jack Williams, the first officer on the scene, told the hearing that Mr Smith had taken the drugs in the morning and at about 1pm.
Mr Davis told the police he and Mr Smith were watching television together in the bedroom before Mr Davis fell asleep.
At about 4pm, Mr Davis woke and found Mr Smith unresponsive. An ambulance was called at about 4.15pm. Paramedics attempted to resuscitate Mr Smith but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 5.08pm. The police arrived at 5.34pm.
His mother Maureen Smith told the inquest she had visited her son in the afternoon prior to his death and he had seemed fine.
She said: ‘I knew he took drugs but he seemed fine. He was talking and laughing and eating.
‘I would’ve noticed if there was something wrong with him.’
Mr Smith had been seeing a support worker from Parkway Adult Mental Health Services for some time to help with his substance misuses.
A pathology report found the level of amphetamine found in Mr Smith’s blood would have been instantly fatal if he wasn’t used to taking it.
It concluded that Mr Smith suffered a blood clot on the brain which triggered a stroke, caused by taking amphetamine.
Following the inquest Mrs Smith, said: ‘He was lovely. He was such a happy and loving person and son.
‘He would always phone me up and see how I was doing. I’m going to miss him and I just love him to bits.’
Coroner David Horseley ruled the death was due to the misuse of drugs.