Motorists face misery as floods hit the region

Leon Williams was jailed at Portsmouth Crown Court

‘I’ll do life for killing you’ – Chilling words of thug who brutally attacked girlfriend

Have your say

FLOODS caused problems for motorists in and around Portsmouth today as heavy rain lashed the region.

An elderly couple had to be rescued from their car in Pitymoor Lane, Purbrook, at about 11am after they got stuck in a ditch which had filled up with water.

Two fire engines from Fareham and Cosham and a special water rescue unit from Fareham were dispatched to the incident.

Firefighters used ropes to tow the vehicle backwards out of the water, which went half way up its doors, before getting the pensioners out.

They were checked over by paramedics before relatives picked them up.

RAC workers were called to recover the car.

Watch manager Jim Stone, of Fareham fire station, said: ‘If the couple had tried getting out the car themselves they could have been in trouble. But they didn’t which meant they were okay.

‘The man had health problems of his own so he was checked by paramedics to make sure he was okay.

‘The water was thigh-high and had come halfway up the doors of the couple’s vehicle.

‘They had tried to drive through the ditch, but unfortunately they got stuck halfway through it.’

Firefighters contacted police and advised them to close the road.

Meanwhile the junction of Grove Road and Station in Drayton has been shut by Colas workers while they try to deal with flood water on the streets.

Between 10 to 12 ins of water also came up through the concrete of properties in Mill Road, Fareham, at 3.30am this morning.

Carpets and a bathroom in one of the homes were badly damaged.

Firefighters from Fareham were alerted to the situation and managed to pump out all the water.

Engineers from Southern Water have also visited residents and checked out the damage.

Drivers were this morning being advised to drive slowly through areas where there were floods.

Crew Manager Allan Cole, of Fareham fire station, said: ‘The water was coming up through the concrete. The residents kept calm and had previously dealt with floods over the Christmas period.

‘We returned to the station just before 6am.

‘Southern Water is now dealing with the incident.’