Mum and son escape home as fire rages

BLAZE The damaged bedroom at the home in Miller Drive, Fareham.    Picture: Sarah Standing (110556-3543)
BLAZE The damaged bedroom at the home in Miller Drive, Fareham. Picture: Sarah Standing (110556-3543)
Police outside student accommodation in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth on Friday Picture Ben Fishwick

Man arrested in Portsmouth explosives probe at Stanhope Road student block is released by police

Have your say

AN elderly woman has told how her son helped her flee their blazing home in the middle of the night.

Helen Amos, 77, was watching television when her 53-year-old son Nicholas rushed downstairs and told her a fire had started in an upstairs bedroom.

It quickly spread to the roof and the kitchen, filling the house with thick smoke and flames within minutes.

Fifteen firefighters were called out to tackle the blaze in Miller Drive, Fareham, shortly after 11pm on Sunday.

Ms Amos said: ‘My son came downstairs and said we had to get out.

‘I was just sat watching television, I didn’t know what was going on.

‘We went out the back door, and as we went the corner of the house fell apart.

‘There were flames shooting out of the upstairs window – it all happened very quickly.

‘There were bits falling down everywhere.

‘I feel devastated. I’ve never had a fire before.

‘Ten minutes later and I would have been in bed.

‘I have lived here for 15 years but I will probably leave this house now. I won’t want to stay here any more.’

Mr Amos was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital overnight to be checked for the effects of breathing in smoke. His mother was not hurt.

An investigation is under way to find out what caused the fire, which shattered windows and melted paintings hanging on walls. The blaze has left the house with severe structural damage and several floors inside have collapsed.

Ms Amos added: ‘I don’t even know what has been destroyed and what hasn’t yet.

‘I’ve got photographs and things in the attic but the fire has taken the ceiling away so I don’t know if they’re still there any more.’

Firefighters left at 3am on Monday.