Mum returns from trick or treat with son to find home damaged by fire

The aftermath of a blaze in Cockerell Close, Lee-on-the-Solent. '''' Picture: Jason Kay
The aftermath of a blaze in Cockerell Close, Lee-on-the-Solent. '''' Picture: Jason Kay
  • Firefighters were called to blaze on Saturday night
  • Front door was completely destroyed
  • It’s not yet known what caused the fire
0
Have your say

A HOMEOWNER has spoken of her devastation after her house was wrecked in a fire.

Louise Freeman was out trick-or-treating with her son Sonny, six, when the fire broke out. A Halloween door decoration had caught fire.

The whole house is smoke damaged. It’s completely ruined

Homeowner Louise Freeman

The blaze at Cockerell Close in Lee-on-the-Solent began at about 7.30pm on Saturday.

The front door was completely destroyed and about four-fifths of the property was damaged by smoke.

Louise’s husband David, 45, and daughter Olivia, 18, were both out working at the time.

The 40-year-old said she had a phone call to say the house was on fire and she rushed back.

‘I didn’t think it was going to be as bad as it was,’ she said.

‘The whole house is smoke damaged. It’s completely ruined. We’ve only been here four months. We moved down from London. It was our first house.

‘Everything was lovely and new and now it’s gone.’

The family is temporarily staying with relatives but will soon have to find somewhere else to live.

It’s not yet known how the fire started, although Louise was told it could have been a firework or a lit cigarette.

Now, the family have to wait to hear from the insurance company to see what will happen to their home.

Meanwhile, firefighters were called to a flat in Fratton after a firework was lit inside it on Saturday morning.

A crew from Southsea fire station went to Belmore Close in Fratton at around 1.10am.

The firework had been lit inside a bedroom and the flat was completely filled with smoke. There was no damage.