Mystery remains over UFO expert found dead in sea

A woman has died after a flat fire in Redlands Lane, Fareham

Woman dies after Fareham flat fire

Mystery surrounds the death of a UFO expert who was found dead in the sea.

An inquest into the death of Paul Vigay failed to conclude how he came to drown off Eastney Esplanade, Eastney, Portsmouth.

No-one saw the 44-year-old father-of-one enter the water and he left no suicide note.

The inquest heard how the computer expert - who was a leading figure internationally on the research of UFOs and crop circles and worked on the 2002 Mel Gibson film Signs - was discovered floating in the sea by dogwalkers shortly after 8am on February 20 last year.

Mr Vigay's girlfriend Andrea Smith said on the evening before his death she told him she wanted to end their three-year relationship.

She was 'not happy' as he had allowed a friend, who was emigrating to America, to temporarily stay at their home in Manners Road, Southsea.

A week earlier over a meal at Rosie's Vineyard, in Elm Grove, Southsea, the couple had also discussed ending the relationship as she said she wanted marriage and children.

Ms Smith told the Portsmouth inquest: 'It was not arguing. It was not aggressive. It was just emotional. He was crying, I was crying. I said "this is it. I think it's come to the end of the line now".'

As she packed her bags, Mr Vigay, who she described as 'very upset', asked her to stay and she agreed, Ms Smith told the inquest.

Mr Vigay then said he was going out. Ms Smith told the inquest: 'I said "you promise me you come home". He said "it's not important now".'

Detective Constable Peter Spake said it was not clear whether Mr Vigay had walked into the water or jumped off a pier as there was no CCTV footage and no witnesses.

Mr Vigay's body was found about 10ft from the shore, he said.

Det Con Spake said there were no suspicious circumstances, with no signs of assault or a struggle on Mr Vigay's body.

Pathologist Dr Barbara Borek said there were a 'number of minor injuries' on Mr Vigay's body, including scratches and grazes, but there was no sign of an assault.

There was a small quantity of alcohol in his blood, she said, and his lungs were filled with fluid.

'I felt that death was due to drowning,' she said.

Coroner David Horsley said there simply was not enough evidence to record whether Mr Vigay took his own life or his death was an accident.

He instead recorded an open verdict.

'I can't say beyond reasonable doubt "yes Paul has taken his own life",' he said. 'The only person who could tell us what was going on in his mind and what happened that night is sadly not here to tell us.'


SHORTLY after Mr Vigay left his house Andrea Smith found a note. She added: 'I walked into his office and found a note folded up. It just said "I love you". 'It said a list of all his computer passwords and his phone code.'

However, when police and family attempted to use the passwords, none of them worked, the inquest heard.

Ms Smith reported her boyfriend missing at 11pm.

She added that Mr Vigay had been worried as his computer business was struggling and he was 10,000 in debt.

But Mr Vigay's father John, of Victory Avenue, Horndean, told the inquest: 'He had very firm beliefs and he would stick to them. He did not believe in suicide.'