FOOD has already started pouring in to The News’ Christmas appeal.
Trollies have been placed in supermarkets across the area to collect donations for the campaign, which was launched yesterday.
We are simply asking for readers to add an extra item to their shopping and put it in our trolley on their way out.
The food collected in the stores will then be distributed to food banks to be turned into festive hampers which will be given to the poor and homeless.
Dedicated News reader Valerie Chessell, of Balfour Road in North End, Portsmouth, was among the first at Morrisons at Anchorage Park.
The 78-year-old said: ‘I usually donate to these sorts of campaigns. If there’s a trolley like this, I will stick something in it.
‘I don’t like to give to charities where the money will go off to some headquarters somewhere and you don’t know what they’re going to do with it.
‘I like to give to local charities where you can see that it’s going to do some good.’
The Young family who were shopping at Sainsbury’s in Fareham also did their bit.
Jan Young, 64, from Funtley, said: ‘We had a bakery where we used to live with a food bank nearby, so we would supply them with things like mince pies at cost at Christmas time.
‘We really do support a cause like this.’
Her daughter, Sarah-Ellen Young, 33, added: ‘I work as a mental health nurse, so I often see first-hand some of the kinds of people that can benefit from this. It’s a nice gesture, and it’s nice to know that people are willing to help.’
Morrisons have agreed to give a trolley containing every item on our shopping list.
Helena Lightfoot, Morrisons’ deputy general manager, said: ‘It’s an absolutely brilliant campaign and it’s what’s needed at this time of year. The festive period is the time when you are meant to think of others.’
And Sam Huxter, customer services manager at Sainsbury’s Fareham, said: ‘We’ll do anything we can do to help the community, particularly at this time of year.’
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes