Deep fried vegetable dumplings - Lawrence Murphy from Fat Olives
Across the world there are many recipes that put a filling into pastry – think samosas and pasties.
My inspiration comes from East Africa – small, sweet sambusas.
Dough: 260g strong flour
Tbsp olive oil
Filling: 1 shallot, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 tbsp sweet potato, finely chopped
Small piece ginger finely chopped
Dip: 20ml soya sauce
20ml fish sauce
1 small chilli, sliced
1. Make the dough by adding all the ingredients together in a bowl until it comes together.
2. Kneed for 4 mins and roll into a long sausage.
3. Divide into 9 equal pieces and roll into balls. Cover and rest in a fridge for 20 mins.
4. Cook the vegetables in a little olive oil for 3 mins in a saucepan on a medium heat. Allow to cool.
5. For the dip just mix all the ingredients together.
6. To make the dumplings roll out a ball of dough into a thin circle. Cut the circle in half. Put a spoon of cooked vegetables on the centre of each semi circle. Fold the tip of the semi circle down to cover the filling and then fold the bottom corner over that. You will have created a triangle. Press all the sides together and then continue with the rest of the dough.
7. Deep fry the triangle in batches for 45 seconds on each side, drain and serve with the dipping sauce.