Pensioner, 82, is seriously injured in road accident

RTA in Cowplain on November 30, 2011'Send in by anonymous contributor
RTA in Cowplain on November 30, 2011'Send in by anonymous contributor
Owner Paul Ojla at the Elegance club in Granada Road, Southsea

‘There’s absolutely no evidence’ – Lap dancing firm hits out over ‘prostitution’ claims at Portsmouth clubs

Have your say

A MAJOR road was closed for more than three hours after a car accident left a pensioner with serious leg injuries.

Emergency services were forced to close part of the A3 London Road, Cowplain, to deal with the accident and allow the air ambulance to land safely.

Eyewitnesses described an elderly woman being taken underneath a car as it collided with her.

Police believe the red Fiat Punto, being driven by a woman, was stopping to let the 82-year-old cross the road.

A blue BMW, driven by a man, was heading south in the same direction and went into the back of the Fiat, which then collided with the pedestrian.

Paula Johnson, who works at the Spotted Cow pub, which had its car park cordoned off as police dealt with the incident, said: ‘All I saw when I pulled up into the pub was a lady under a car.

‘Within minutes there were police cars, fire engines and the air ambulance.’

The accident happened at about 10.55am yesterday and police closed London Road in both directions at its junctions with Longwood Avenue and Padnell Avenue.

Fire engines from Waterlooville and Horndean were called out.

The helicopter landed in the car park of Cowplain Social Club but it was decided to take the pensioner to Queen Alexandra Hospital by road ambulance.

Vince Nicoll, crew manager at Horndean fire station, said by the time they got there the woman was no longer underneath the vehicle.

He said: ‘The call came in about a person trapped under a car. Another car had gone into the back of the car which had hit the lady.

‘We did not have to remove her from under the car. She was conscious and breathing. I think it was mainly her legs where the car had hit her. It caused a lot of disruption.’

The road was closed so crash investigators could examine the scene. Diversions were set up for cars and buses.

Neil Miller, a spokesman for Hampshire Police, said: ‘It doesn’t appear to be a high-speed incident. No-one has been arrested.’

Call Sergeant Shaun Hopkins at the Fratton Roads Policing unit, quoting Operation Spindle, on 101.