People’s champion - December 5, 2013

The new logo visible on University House, Winston Churchiil Avenue, Portsmouth

University of Portsmouth under fire over £800,000 rebrand costs as departments face cuts

Have your say

Each week consumer champion Richard Thomson answers your questions.

Q I ordered some photographic equipment from an online supplier, but it wasn’t despatched on time as promised.

I cancelled the order and bought the goods locally. More than a month down the line I’ve not been refunded. What do you advise?

GB (email)

A As you didn’t cancel within seven working days the protection of the Distance Selling Regulations will not apply.

But all is not lost. You still have the protection provided by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Because you wisely paid using a credit card and the cost of the equipment was more than £100, you will have a claim against the card issuer for a refund.

Write to them with brief details of what happened, and they will make the necessary arrangements to credit your card account.

Q I’ve got a bit of a problem with a boundary fence which blew down in recent gales. I’m not sure whether it’s my fence of my neighbours.

He’s adamant that I’m responsible for replacing it. I’m not so sure. How can I find out please?

ST (email)

A The easiest way to check boundary features is to look at the deeds to the property. You may have them with your personal paperwork, or if it’s still mortgaged your solicitor or lender probably have them.

Alternatively, you can obtain a copy from the land registry

Those parts of the boundary that belong to you, and are up to you to maintain, should be marked with a red line and a series of ‘T’s’ on your side.

If there are no such markings, the law presumes a fence or wall belongs to the person on whose side the supporting posts or pillars are sunk.