Daughter pays tribute to windsurfing dad, from Hilsea

Langstone Harbour where Sean Boyle was windsurfing. Picture: Paul Jacobs (143313-1)
Langstone Harbour where Sean Boyle was windsurfing. Picture: Paul Jacobs (143313-1)
Share this article

New numbers at hospital

Have your say

FIGHTING back the tears, Laura Walker has paid tribute to her dad who died at the weekend while windsurfing in the Solent.

Father and grandfather Sean Boyle was just 53.

Sean lived in Marston Lane in Hilsea and was well known in the area as a builder.

Now, his daughter Laura has recounted her memories of her dad.

‘Everybody is in a state of shock,’ she said.

‘I have always thought that my dad was invincible.

‘My sister and I lost our mum five years ago.

‘She was ill for 10 years. That was upsetting. But my dad was the person who was always going to be there.

‘I always expected to see my dad in a nursing home.

‘I’m absolutely devastated. I can’t believe it.

‘I don’t think anybody can believe it. He was so fit and well.

‘My sister and I were both incredibly close to him.’

Sean had taken up windsurfing recently, after going through a divorce.

He had started a new relationship around a year ago.

‘He found a new lease of life,’ said Laura.

‘He started this hobby. He’s been doing it for years. He loved it.

‘It was one of the many things he started doing since he found this new lease of life.

‘Him and his girlfriend were just made for each other.

‘They were like the same person.’

Laura said her dad was a popular character.

‘I have never heard of my dad falling out with anybody,’ she said. ‘He made friends anywhere he went.

‘He was always doing karaoke, singing awful songs.

‘He’s so well known in the Portsmouth area.

‘He lived there all his life.’

Laura, 28, who lives in Wiltshire, spoke of happy times as a child, going cycling and fishing with her dad and sister Amy Boyle.

‘All my happy childhood memories were with him,’ she added.

‘He had a heart of gold. He would always be there to help anybody. He was so fun to be around.

‘He would just do his own thing and people loved him for it.’

As reported in The News, Portsmouth Lifeboat Station reported that Mr Boyle suffered a cardiac arrest after windsurfing off the coast of Hayling Island.

He was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham from Hayling Island but was pronounced dead on arrival.