Family devastated as their cat dies in fall

Perkins the cat was found stuck in between two tree trunks in High Street in Shedfield on Friday, October 23. Despite rescue efforts he had to be put to sleep, prompting the RSPCA to issue a warning to cat owners to get them microchipped. Picture supplied by RSPCA. PPP-150211-161948001
Perkins the cat was found stuck in between two tree trunks in High Street in Shedfield on Friday, October 23. Despite rescue efforts he had to be put to sleep, prompting the RSPCA to issue a warning to cat owners to get them microchipped. Picture supplied by RSPCA. PPP-150211-161948001
Lewis Hine, 17, from Havant with Tinie Tempah at the NHS Heroes Awards.' Picture: Daily Mirror.

Havant teenager Lewis wins accolade at NHS Heroes Awards

  • RSPCA urges people to get their pets microchipped
0
Have your say

A FAMILY was left devastated when their beloved 15-year-old cat died after getting trapped between two tree trunks – without them being able to say goodbye.

The elderly ginger and white male cat called Perkins was found wedged in a tiny gap in a garden on High Street in Shedfield on Friday, October 23.

It is believed he may have fallen between the twisted trunks.

Firefighters and the RSPCA were called to the scene to try to rescue the cat.

After slowly manoeuvring him out of the gap, they found that he had lost all feeling in his back end and tail and although the vets tried to save him his condition was so painful that he had to be put to sleep.

Because Perkins had no microchip, the RSPCA was not able to contact the owner to let them know what had happened.

Other than his injuries, he was in excellent condition for a cat of his age. The family of the cat were inconsolable when they finally received the news that he had died.

RSPCA inspector Penny Baker said: ‘This was a heartbreaking situation and I was desperately hoping Perkins would survive, even just to see his owner one last time. As he was not microchipped though, we did not have the opportunity to contact his family.

‘Although microchipping would not have changed the outcome for this poor boy, it might have given the owner a chance to say goodbye.

‘Luckily the owners have now been found, but unfortunately it was too late. They are absolutely devastated and are as keen as we are to encourage more people to get their pets chipped before something tragic like this occurs.’

For more information go to rspca.org.uk