Father to visit Bosnian orphanage in support of his son

Terry Jeans
Terry Jeans
The Qatar Stewards' Cup at the 2017 Qatar Goodwood Festival / Picture by Matt Sills

Did you miss our exclusive Qatar Goodwood Festival horse-racing supplement? Fear not...

  • Father of murdered son visiting Bosnia
  • Terry Jeans to see why his son supported orphanage
  • 25-year-old was murdered in Croatia in 1996
Have your say

A FATHER is returning to an orphanage in Bosnia that his son was raising money for shortly before he died.

Terry Jeans’ son, Private Simon Jeans, was attacked by a gang of thugs outside a nightclub when he was in Croatia.

Simon Jeans

Simon Jeans

Now, the 72-year-old from Paulsgrove is flying out to the orphanage called Bjelave in Sarajevo, to meet the staff and the children there to see why his son was so passionate about supporting them.

Pte Jeans had taken part in a fun run to raise money for the orphanage before he died.

Mr Jeans said: ‘That was the very last thing he ever did in his life. I’m going there because I promised myself that I would go and see for myself what my son was doing.

‘They are going to look after me for a few days. They will take me around the orphanage and they will take me to meet one of the families.

I’m going there because I promised myself that I would go there and see for myself what my son was doing

Terry Jeans

‘They have been very helpful and are being very welcoming.’

Pte Jeans had spent time at the orphanage in Bosnia and then travelled over the border to Split in Croatia, where he took part in the fun run.

Mr Jeans said it was important for him to travel to Bosnia to see what his son was trying to achieve.

‘I haven’t got a lot of love or forgiveness for the Croation people but this meant a lot to Simon,’ he added.

‘I just wanted to see with my own eyes what he saw.

‘He went to this orphanage to decide who to raise the money for. He was the one who picked it.

‘They will show me how it works.’

Simon was hit on the head with a rock on September 8, 1996.

He died aged 25 in Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey, nine days later from a brain haemorrhage.

Mr Jeans fought a long battle to bring his son’s killer to justice.

After many years of court proceedings, Dejan Skaro, who was convicted of causing severe injury, was given a suspended sentence, but Mr Jeans appealed this and Skaro was then sent to prison for 18 months in 2012.