Fire erupts at energy firm Scottish and Southern Energy's base in Havant

FIREFIGHTERS battled a blaze at the home of an energy supplier in Havant this afternoon.

Saturday, 27th July 2019, 4:00 pm
Updated Saturday, 27th July 2019, 6:19 pm
The SSE site in Martin Road, Havant, where the fire erupted. Photo: Google

More than 20 officers from three different stations fought the fire at the Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) storage unit in Martin Road.

The blaze erupted shortly after 1.30pm on the building’s first floor.

Two fire crews from Havant were supported by a team from Cosham and one from Emsworth.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

An aerial ladder platform from Southsea and command unit from Portchester also attended.

Firefighters used six breathing apparatus as they fought through the smoke-clogged interior to reach the blaze, which had been ignited by a faulty water heater hidden behind a stud wall.

Crew manager Nigel Blackman said: ‘It was challenge to find the fire as the building’s air conditioning was moving the smoke around.

‘But after about 15 minutes searching and using thermal imaging cameras, we managed to find it. It was pretty easy to extinguish after that.’

Officers ripped out the stud wall and used two jets and hose reel to extinguish the blaze before clearing the building of smoke.

A spokeswoman for SSE said no staff were injured during the incident and that everyone was evacuated safely.

‘There was a small, isolated fire at one of our ancillary sites in Martin Road, Havant,’ she said.

‘There was a minor amount of smoke damage to the building.

‘All staff left safely and no customers were affected by the fire.’

Crew manager Blackman added: ‘Today’s fire showed the importance of always having a good smoke detection system in place.’

Firefighters left the scene at about 3pm.