Fire service confirms cause of high rise fire at Buckland tower block
A FIRE that broke out in a Portsmouth tower block at the weekend was started in the bin chute, it has been confirmed.
On Saturday evening at 5.49pm, Wingfield Street in Buckland was closed off by police while firefighters dealt with a fire at Pickwick House.
Firefighters from Southsea, Portchester, Havant, Fareham, Wickham, Waterlooville, and Eastleigh were all called to the incident, spending just under an hour tackling the blaze.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service has said the fire was started by bags of domestic waste that had been thrown down the bin chute.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: ‘Eight teams attended a fire in the bin shute of the 12-storey domestic building.
‘The fire was on the fourth floor involving bags of domestic waste and confined to the chute.
‘One hose reel was used to extinguish.’
Nobody was injured as a result of the fire, which is not being treated as suspicious.
For all the latest news, traffic and travel, what’s on, Pompey, sport and breaking stories visit The News’s website.
Do not contact us while you are driving. To stay up to date with all the latest Portsmouth news follow us on twitter @portsmouthnews or like our Facebook page.
Sign up for our WhatsApp service to get the latest news direct to your phone.