Firework explosion in Southsea leaves woman suffers serious facial injuries
A WOMAN was left with serious facial injuries after a firework exploded near her face last night.
The 23-year-old was rushed to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham, yesterday evening.
A spokeswoman for South Central Ambulance Service said paramedics had been called to an address in Southsea at 7.18pm.
She added: ‘A female, aged 23, suffered severe burns to her face and chest and was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital by ambulance.’
The incident comes after the area celebrated Bonfire Night yesterday.
Scores of fireworks were set off across the city.
And a number of bonfires were also lit by revellers – several of which were abandoned, forcing fire crews to intervene.
Havant Fire Station said that it had received as many as 12 individual reports on Bonfire Night.
All of the fires were dealt with by the station’s night watch before they caused any injuries or property damage.
Firefighters have advised people to only attend organised bonfire and firework displays.