Jeremy Kyle Show axed: Full ITV statement as broadcaster ends show after 14 years following death of Portsmouth man

THE death of a Portsmouth man has prompted ITV to axe the Jeremy Kyle Show after 14 years.

Wednesday, 15th May 2019, 11:31 am
Jeremy Kyle. Picture: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire
Jeremy Kyle. Picture: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

Steve Dymond, 63, a machine operator, was found dead in a property in Grafton Street, Buckland, last Thursday. 

He had been a guest on an episode of the Jeremy Kyle Show earlier this month where it is reported that he failed a lie-detector test. 

ITV announced this morning that it would be ending production on the popular daytime TV programme, which had been on the air since 2005. 

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jeremy Kyle. Picture: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire

In a statement, the broadcaster’s chief executive Carolyn McCall said: ‘Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

‘The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.

‘Everyone at ITV's thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.’

Read More

Read More
The Jeremy Kyle Show axed for good by ITV following death of Portsmouth man 

ITV have said that it will continue to work with Kyle on other projects.

Mr Dymond’s son Carl Woolley, 39, said his father had been ‘distraught’ over the breakdown of his relationship and hoped the show would help him ‘clear his name’.

Mr Woolley was reportedly contacted by a concerned relative after Mr Dymond was left in a highly emotional state following the recording.

‘I called after he got home from filming the episode,’ Mr Wooley told the Daily Mail.

‘He was distraught over the break-up of the relationship. He had gone on the show solely to clear his name (about allegedly cheating on Ms Callaghan) but he said it had gone wrong because of the lie detector test.’

Referring to his father by his first name, Mr Woolley said: ‘Steve told me 'Kyle really laid into me'. Presumably that was at the point when they announced the lie detector result.’

Prior to the phone call, the father and son are said to have not spoken for seven years and had not seen each other in person for 36 years.

News of Mr Dymond's death prompted an outcry and senior politicians have been urging ITV to end the show over the last couple of days.