ANGRY mum Tiffany Heeley was left with a broken tooth after biting a screw inside a Greggs breakfast bap.
The 26-year-old was sharing it with her two-year-old daughter, Lois Clark, when she bit into the metal.
She said: ‘I felt something break my tooth so I spat my mouthful of food out and there it was, a screw that had come out of my sausage.’
Tiffany, who bought the food from the Greggs in Allaway Avenue Paulsgrove, Portsmouth, said the screw, (pictured), broke her tooth. And she’s worried about having to fork out on dentistry fees.
‘I can’t afford to pay out to get my tooth fixed,’ she said.
Tiffany, who lives in Paulsgrove, said she was terrified at the thought of what might have happened if her daughter had swallowed the screw.
‘Luckily I took that bite and not her because she could have choked on it or, even worse caused her internal injuries,’ Tiffany said.
She kept the evidence and the half-eaten roll and demanded an apology from Greggs.
She was offered vouchers but turned them down.
A spokesperson from Greggs said: ‘We’re sorry it’s taken time to respond to our customer but we had to investigate every possibility after we received this complaint.
‘We have rigorous quality and control checks including metal detectors before sending our products out to our shops.
‘We checked with our ingredient suppliers and our bakery but that type of screw is not used.
‘We’ve even checked the shop but all of the screws in their equipment are still intact so this remains a mystery.
‘We have written to our customer with sincere apologies and a full review of our investigations.’