But over the years there have been a number of beloved cinemas across the city from Cosham to Southsea. Here are pictures of 17 of the ones we have loved and lost. How many do you remember?
Once located on Commercial Road, the ABC Cinema entertained moviegoers for decades but shut down at the turn of the millenium. It was opened as the Savoy in the 1930s.
This cinema could be found in Fratton Road in past years. It dates back to the 1910s and entertained movie-goers until it closed in the 1970s. It has been demolished and a block of flats have been built on the site.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
This cinema opened in the 1930s in Highland Road, Southsea. It was re-named the Salon Cinema in the 1970s and closed down in the 1980s. It was demolished and is now a sports-field.
This cinema used to be in Commercial Road back in the day. It opened as movie theatre in the early 1900s and was closed down in the 1960s. It has been turned into an office block.
Once located in Kingston Road this cinema dates back to the early 1900s. It was damaged in the Blitz but reopened and later was converted into a bingo hall which shut in 2018.
Located in Albert Road, Southsea, this cinema went by many names over the years. Including Apollo and Essoldo. It closed down in the 1970s and was demolished in the 1980s.
This cinema was once located in Commerical Road in the city centre. It was built as a small music hall in the 1910s and turned in a cinema. It shut down around 1918.
The definition of a long lost cinema, this picture house was in Edinburgh Road and opened towards the end of the 19th Century. It shut down in the late 1940s and was demolished in the 50s. It is now an Iceland.
This cinema could be found in Eastney Road back in the day. It was shut down in the 1960s and demolished.
The Palace Picture House opened in the 1920s in Guildhall Walk and was designed by AE Cogwell. After decades in business it shut in the 1980s and was converted into a nightclub. It is now home to Astoria.
Designed by AE Cogswell this cinema was in Albert Road, Southsea. It opened in the 1920s and shut in the late 1950s. It is now a Co-op.
This cinema was in London Road, North End, and it opened in the 1930s as one of the original Odeon Theatres. Sadly after many decades of entertaining movie-goers it showed its last feature in 2008.
Located in Kingston Cross, this cinema was designed by famed Portsmouth architect A.E. Cogswell it opened in the 1920s. It shut down in the 1970s after being renamed the New Classic Cinema.
This cinema used to be right in the heart of the city in Guildhall Walk. It began showing films in the 1910s. Sadly it was destroyed by the German's during the blitz in 1941.
Once located in London Road, North End, it was originally known as Regent Cinema when it opened in the 1920s. It was re-named in the 50s and lasted as the Gaumont until 1973. It was demolished in 1974.
This grand building in Bradford Junction, Southsea, was a cinema from the 1920s until the mid-1960s. It became a bingo hall and is now a mosque.
This cinema was a part of Cosham's High Street for 70 years after being opened by musical star Jack Buchanan in 1937. Sadly it closed down in 2007 and was knocked down in 2011.