Street party fund will help neighbours stage a right Royal knees-up

Prince William and Kate Middleton
Prince William and Kate Middleton
Pupils from Cliffdale Primary Academy

WATCH: Prominent city figures unite for charity sign language music video

Have your say

NEIGHBOURS are being urged to throw street parties to boost community spirit and mark this year’s Royal wedding.

And people in Portsmouth who do so won’t be charged a penny as the city council has set aside £10,000 to make the celebrations for the marriage of Prince William to Kate Middleton go with a swing.

The cash will pay for road signs and insurance which would otherwise have to be met by the organisers of street events.

City leaders hope the gesture will help put a smile on people’s faces and create scenes reminiscent of the street parties thrown for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977.

The council’s leader for leisure, Cllr Lee Hunt, said: ‘We want people to enjoy themselves and celebrate. We hope the money we are setting aside will help encourage people to hold parties in streets across our city.’

City leaders hope up to 50 streets in the city will apply to hold events on the Royal couple’s big day on April 29.

The only places where parties won’t be allowed are major bus routes, and strategic main roads.

The council’s head of culture and leisure, Stephen Baily, said: ‘When we had the Golden Jubilee celebrations, the city had more than 50 parties. Our plans at the moment will enable us to pay for 50, but we can see how demand affects that.

We have already had at least 12 enquiries and we’re expecting more. We hope people will contact us and we’ll do what we can to help their party go ahead.’

Costs for each party which will be met by the council include the £64 price of road signs to show roads are blocked, as well as £50 per party in public liability insurance.

Havant, Gosport and Fareham councils have not yet finalised their policies.

Havant, which has so far received two requests to hold street parties, confirmed it would complete guidelines when Hampshire County Council announces its road closure and insurance requirements. The county is still preparing its advice to borough and district councils.

E-mail for information on how to set up a party in Portsmouth.