As Chichester astronaut Tim Peake prepares for his historic space mission tomorrow (Tuesday December 15) we provide a quick list of biographical details about the man.
Timothy Nigel Peake
- Born 7 April 1972 in Chichester, West Sussex
- Married with two sons
- Interests include skiing, scuba diving, cross-country running, climbing, and mountaineering, plus quantum physics and aviation
- Is a former British Army Air Corps officer
- Began European Space Agency’s intensive astronaut basic training course in September 2009 and graduated on 22 November 2010
- Studied at Chichester High School for Boys, West Sussex, leaving in 1990 to attend the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
- Received a Bachelor of Science degree in flight dynamics and evaluation from the University of Portsmouth in 2006
- Beat more than 8,000 other applicants for one of the six places on the ESA’s new astronaut training programme
- Set to become the first Briton to fly into space without a private contract (Helen Sharman) or American citizenship (Michael Foale, Piers Sellers and Nicholas Patrick).
- During Expedition 44 Tim Peake served as a back-up astronaut for Soyuz TMA-17M spaceflight.