Pets killed after fire breaks out in city flat

Pte Tom Canwell from Portsmouth, on alert against enemy attacks during war games in Germany

Army battalion face a tough battle in German war game

Have your say

FOUR pets were killed when a fire broke out in a Portsmouth flat.

More than 25 firefighters went to tackle the blaze on the third floor of Windsor House, a six-storey block of flats in Canal Walk, Landport, on Saturday morning.

A man was rescued from inside the flat and taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham by waiting paramedics.

He was suffering from suspected smoke inhalation.

A tortoise was also rescued from the flat and given to the RSPCA to look after.

But four other pets did not make it.

Three African grey parrots and a white parakeet died.

The fire began at 8.45am and it took firefighters just under an hour to put it out.

As it was only a small blaze, neighbours in other flats were not evacuated.

The crews involved were from Cosham and Southsea fire stations.