Police name fire victim

Leon Williams was jailed at Portsmouth Crown Court

‘I’ll do life for killing you’ – Chilling words of thug who brutally attacked girlfriend

The name of a man who died following a fire at a flat in Somers Town has been released by police.

Adrian Hamm, of Omega House, Omega Street, was rescued from the flat after a fire broke out at about 3.20pm on Monday, December 20.

However, the 47-year-old was pronounced dead upon arrival at Queen Alexandra Hospital.

The death is not being treated as suspicious.

The fire which claimed the life of Mr Hamm was started by a cigarette dropped in the bedroom.

In a statement, the fire service said: 'The evidence indicates that this fire started as a result of the careless disposal of smoking materials in the bedroom.

'This fire led to the tragic loss of a life in the Portsmouth area and highlights the need for householders to ensure all smoking materials are extinguished when going to sleep and that they should never smoke in bed.

'We would also advise householders not to smoke if they feel sleepy, been drinking or taking prescription drugs because, once again, you could fall asleep whilst holding a lit cigarette, which could have devastating consequences.'