Council receives a £20,000 grant for youth projects

Councillor Roy Perry, leader of Hampshire County Council

Hampshire council chief backs Heathrow runway expansion

Have your say

THOUSANDS of pounds has been given to Fareham Borough Council for youth development.

As part of its Have Your Say scheme, Hampshire County Council has awarded the borough £20,000.

The scheme provides funding for local projects that have been chosen, and voted for, by people in the area.

Organisations can apply for a share of £200,000 every year in order to hold their own local Have Your Say events.

The borough council is planning to spend its share on supporting the development of activities for young people.

A spokeswoman from the council said: ‘Fareham Borough Council has secured £20,000 from Hampshire County Council.

‘The money is intended to be used to support activities for young people aged eight to 16 years old.

‘In the next few months details will be published inviting local community groups to bid for funding.

‘The projects and activities should be aimed at supporting eight to 16-year-olds.

‘People in the local community will then have the opportunity to vote on their favourite projects and decide who will receive the money.’

The decision to give the funding was agreed by Councillor Andrew Joy, executive member for communities and partnerships.

He said: ‘The core principles of the Have Your Say scheme are to identify and respond to community needs by enabling residents to select and evaluate funding opportunities.

‘It gives people a real voice in how money is spent in their local area and provides an opportunity for local grass roots community projects to be supported.

‘Districts across Hampshire have already benefited from this scheme through grants awarded last year.

‘And these latest awards will also really help to build and strengthen these local communities by drawing people together and giving ownership through the decision-making process.’

District, borough, town and parish councils can apply for the Have Your Say scheme from Hampshire County Council, as can community groups and other relevant partnerships.

For more information on how to apply for the Have Your Say scheme visit the county council website at