Fareham buskers will have to apply for permit to perform

The fragment from the Union Jack believed to have flown on board HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar. Credit: Sotheby's

Flag from HMS Victory and Lord Nelson’s love letters up for sale at London auction

Have your say

BUSKERS in Fareham will need to gain a permit to perform if the decision to welcome it is made tonight.

Anyone hoping to play music for cash would need to obtain a permit by filling out a form issued by Fareham Borough Council which asks for their name, address, contact number and the amount of people that would be performing with them.

It has not been confirmed whether homeless buskers will be allowed to gain the permit, which would be free of charge, and this will also be discussed at tonight’s public meeting, which begins at 6pm at Fareham Borough Council’s civic offices, in the Collingwood Room.

Cllr Pamela Bryant, chairman of licensing and regulatory affairs committee, which will be leading tonight’s meeting, said: ‘Lots of other council already issue permits. We are coming into line with others and putting a mark down so we don’t get people coming into the town doing their own thing.

‘It’s a case of us wanting to know who is busking, and making sure they are not a nuisance.

‘We want Fareham to be a safe place and we don’t want people to be concerned about their own safety and well-being.

‘We don’t want to deter anyone, I really like street entertainment. This is about putting a formal agreement in place.’