Get in touch with council for men’s shed groups

Have your say

GROUPS who are setting up men’s sheds are being encouraged to notify Hampshire County Council as they could be eligible for funding.

The Men’s Shed movement is recognised in the UK by health professionals, charities such as Age UK, and local authorities for helping reduce social isolation and improving the health and wellbeing of retired men.

The county council wants to hear from people interested in setting up men’s shed groups in rural areas as they may be eligible for support from the rural development fund.

Councillor Rob Humby, the council’s rural affairs champion, said: ‘It can be difficult as you get older if you have been used to working for many years and this changes.

‘People often find they miss the camaraderie of colleagues and can feel isolated. Men’s Sheds provide the opportunity for men to use their skills in a positive way and often for the wider community benefit.’

For more information and advice on setting up a shed in a rural area and how to fund it, e-mail