Gosport MP Caroline Dinenage pledges new fight on bypass

Caroline Dinenage
Caroline Dinenage
Have your say

GOSPORT MP Caroline Dinenage vowed to bring in funding for a relief road and economic prosperity to the town.

Speaking as she secured her seat for the next five years with an overwhelming majority, Ms Dinenage said she will fight for a Stubbington Bypass.

The MP won with a 17,098 majority, announced in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Promising to work for her constituents, she said: ‘We were told we never had any chance of getting closer to it.

‘I’m going to keep pushing.’

The proposed road, which aims to alleviate Gosport’s traffic problems, needs a final piece of funding.

Hampshire County Council has secured cash for the planning application but cannot get further funding until it gets permission.

Ms Dinenage added she wants to see Gosport’s waterfront regenerated during the parliament.

She said: ‘We’re trying to carry on getting the final bit of roads and the regeneration of our waterfront, which is key.’

She added: ‘Five years ago they put their trust in me.

‘I’m absolutely delighted they put that trust in me again.’

Traffic problems and getting funding for the bypass were major issues raised at The News’ hustings on April 16 at Thorngate Halls.

It remains one of the key issues for people in Gosport and Ms Dinenage’s promise will resonate with voters.

Meanwhile, hapless independent candidate Jeffery Roberts not only got the least share of the vote but he missed the declaration by 40 minutes.

The 75-year-old, of Alverstoke, was at home while the votes were counted on Thursday.

Mr Roberts, a lecturer on cruise ships, secured just 104 votes.

But he only found out from a News reporter after turning up at Gosport Leisure Centre late.

He said: ‘I’m delighted. I was away, I was only back for the final week.

‘I only attended one of the four hustings.

‘I was at the Gallipoli commemoration.’

But he said he was disappointed to miss the declaration.

‘I’m a little bit disappointed about that,’ he said.

‘That was part of my experience.

‘I was told it would be about 3.30am or quarter to four. I came here at 10.30pm and shot off home.’

as esequis aboreic ipitibus, tem