HERE are seven things you may not know about the new Minister for Portsmouth.
Mark Francois, whose appointment was announced today, was born in Islington in 1965 and moved to Basildon in Essex in 1971. He now lives in Rayleigh.
* He studied history at Bristol University and War Studies at King’s College, London.
* He served as an infantry officer in the Territorial Army, including with the local Royal Anglian Regiment, in the 1980s.
* Before becoming an MP, Mark worked in banking and as a self-employed consultant.
* Mark enjoys reading, hill walking and history, particularly military history.
* He was appointed Minister of State for the Armed Forces in October 2013.
* He was re-elected to the Rayleigh and Wickford constituency last week in a landslide win with a majority of more than 17,000.