Theresa May issues Brexit update after Chequers plan savaged by EU leadersÂ

The Prime Minister has issued an update on the Brexit negotiations after her Chequers plan was savaged by EU leaders. Â

Friday, 21st September 2018, 2:14 pm
Updated Friday, 21st September 2018, 3:18 pm
Prime Minister Theresa May issued a statement to the nation today. Picture: Victoria Jones/PA Wire

Theresa May spoke to the nation from outside Number 10 Downing Street today (Sepetember 21) after her proposals were rejected at a conference in Salzberg yesterday. 

The Prime Minister confirmed that she will not accept any deal that breaks up the country or rejects the result of the referendum. 

Mrs May said: '˜I have always said that negotiations will be tough.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prime Minister Theresa May issued a statement to the nation today. Picture: Victoria Jones/PA Wire

'˜Anything that fails to respect the outcome of the referendum or threatens to divide the Union is a bad deal. 

'˜I have always said no deal is better than a bad deal. We have treated the EU with nothing but respect and the UK expects the same. 

'˜We cannot accept anything that does not accept result of the referendum.' 

Portsmouth vote 58 per cent to leave the EU during the referendum in June 2016. 

The UK is set to formally leave the European Union in March 2019, but so far no deal has been agreed. 

Read More

Read More
Read More: Shipping minister claims Portsmouth port '˜will still thrive' after ...

If the country was to crash out of the EU with no deal - trade terms would go to WTO tariffs. 

Portsmouth port could be severely affected as a result of a no deal Brexit '“ with Mike Sellers, who leads the Portsmouth City Council-run port, writing to Fareham MP Suella Braverman, a minister in the Department for Exiting the European Union to raise concerns and invite her to visit. 

There are fears that lorries stuck along the M275 due to a backlog at Portsmouth's port in the event of a no deal Brexit

Last month The News revealed that Mr Sellers was eyeing up a parcel of land in Tipner to stack up lorries and containers if delays led to congestion.