THE third phase of the Rowner redevelopment project will now go ahead, after being approved by councillors.
A meeting of the regulatory board on Monday night approved the plans, which will see 175 new homes as part of the multi-million pound regeneration of the estate.
This phase will see properties demolished next year to make way for 152 houses and 23 apartments between the redevelopment of the south of the site around Howe Road and the new Tesco, which is being built opposite HMS Sultan, along with other retail units and apartments.
Along with the homes, made up of two, three and four bedroom houses, along with one and two bedroom apartments, there will also be two small parks in the new section of the redevelopment.
Tory leader of the council Mark Hook said: ‘It’s shows its on track for what we want to see.
‘Of course what everyone wants to see is the last bit of the concrete jungle come down, which will be some time next year.
‘I think that’s a definitive moment to show the resurgence of the area and the growth of Alver Village, as it’s now known.
‘It’s another positive step forward, from an economic point of view it’s good for Gosport’s economy.
‘It helps the construction industry and keeps jobs in Gosport, which are very very important as well.’
As previously reported in The News, those behind the Rowner Renewal project planned 219 new homes in phase one, which is now nearly complete, with residents now in homes at Alver Village, in Howe Road.
Properties in phase two, including the new Tesco store, which will open in spring 2013, are under construction and will consist of 101 new apartments and a block of flats, along with the Tesco store and other retail units.
The work is led by the Rowner Renewal Partnership, which is made up of the housing association First Wessex, Hampshire County Council, a public body called the Homes and Communities Agency, Gosport Borough Council and builder Taylor Wimpey.
Of the 152 homes to be built in phase three, there will be 39 affordable homes, with the rest for private sale.
Cllr Hook said that across the project there will be more affordable homes than the 40 per cent requirement.
He said: ‘There will be a significant number, the percentage is 40 per cent so we would expect 40 per cent of homes to be affordable but actually I think that figure’s probably going to be higher because a lot of the investment came through First Wessex.’
Cllr Dennis Wright, leader of the Labour opposition said: ‘I’m obviously pleased that the development is going to go ahead, the development at Rowner is long overdue and the sooner we can get on with it the better.’
Consultations for the next phase four begin next year.