Portsmouth firefighters called to blaze outside house

Share this article
This wreath for Gosport football coach Ronnie Williamson was destroyed - while his funeral was still taking place. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves

College vows launches ‘disciplinary action’ after wreath trashed at funeral

Have your say

A DISCARDED cigarette could have been responsible for a blaze outside a bedroom window.

Firefighters were called to Walmer Road, Fratton, at 3am today after a man woke to flames coming from rubbish bags.

He called the emergency services and managed to put out most of the flames by the time the fire crew, from Southsea, arrived.

Crew manager Jamie Wren said: ‘Someone had put their rubbish out and it caught fire. We don’t know how it caught fire but it could be down to a cigarette in there or something like that.

‘It was outside the man’s bedroom window – his bedroom is downstairs at the front of the house.

‘The rubbish fire caused a bit of damage to the front of the house. When we got there he (the homeowner) was alright and the police were in attendance.’