Portsmouth student’s washing sets off fire alarm

Police outside student accommodation in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth on Friday Picture Ben Fishwick

Man arrested in Portsmouth explosives probe at Stanhope Road student block is released by police

0
Have your say

A STUDENT washing their laundry ended up sparking a fire alert at a halls of residence in Portsmouth.

A passer-by had called the fire brigade after seeing what they thought was smoke escaping from a window of Reece Hall, in Southsea Terrace, Portsmouth.

But the ‘smoke’ was just steam from a load of laundry being washed.

Because of the size of the block, a total of seven fire crews – three from Southsea and three from Cosham – were sent to the scene at 2.19pm yesterday.

Other crews were called too, but turned back once those on scene discovered it was a false alarm. It’s thought students had started to evacuate the building as the alarm was raised.

Crew manager Kevin Taylor said: Someone thought they saw smoke coming from one of the windows but it turned out to be steam from laundry.’