Prevent fires caused by electrical products

Some of the items

Picture of Alan Shearer holds clue to find owner of stolen goods

Have your say

TIPS on how to stop fires caused by household electrical items are being given by the fire service.

As part of Electric Fire Safety Week, which starts today, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service is asking people to check appliances like fridges, irons and plugs for any faults.

Last year 743 fires in Hampshire were caused by electrics in the home.

Station manager Ian Wadmore, of the fire service’s community safety team, said: ‘Electrical equipment is an inescapable part of all our lives – from essentials like heating and lights – to luxuries like entertainment systems or beauty products.

‘By following some simple steps, you can help keep you and your loved ones safe from fire.’

Advice from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service includes:

n Don’t overload plug sockets.

n Check for worn or frayed wires.

n Unplug appliances when not in use and keep them clean.

For more information visit or call (023) 8062 6809.