A ROAD will remain closed for the rest of the week as engineers fix a gas leak.
The southbound route of Rowner Road, in Gosport, has been closed since Tuesday morning and a diversion has been put in place.
Both sides of the road were blocked to drivers near the junctions of Grange Road and Tichborne Way all day Tuesday following the leak.
But after working all day and evening to temporarily fix the problem, engineers from gas company SGN were able to open the northbound route yesterday morning.
Hannah Adam, a spokeswoman for SGN, said: ‘Our engineers have been working to make safe and have completed a temporary repair to the gas main.
‘We monitored the site closely overnight on Tuesday and our teams began work to make a permanent repair to the pipe on Wednesday,
I didn’t want to go to a hotel so when they said we could return home, we were relieved.Dave Hurst
‘Rowner Road has reopened to northbound traffic. The southbound side of the road remains closed while we complete our work. A signed diversion route is in place.
‘At this stage, it’s difficult to confirm exactly how long it will take to complete the permanent repair but we expect to be onsite for the next couple of days.’
Two homes were evacuated early Tuesday morning with the residents relieved when they were allowed back in in the evening.
Dave Hurst and his wife Christine were evacuated along with one of their neighbours.
The former Pompey scout was only allowed back in during the day to grab a few belongings.
The 72-year-old said: ‘I was very unhappy about the situation.
‘When they were unsure if we could return last night, it wasn’t good news for us because I just wanted to be allowed back home.
‘I didn’t want to go to a hotel so when they said we could return home, we were relieved.
‘The leak was a nuisance for us but the engineers were brilliant keeping us up to date with what’s been going on.
‘As a precaution the engineers said they would be checking our house every 30 minutes for gas.’
Mr Hurst was woken by his wife at about 5am after she saw a gas sensor poking through the letterbox. She opened the door and spoke to an engineer who informed them of the gas leak.
Dave added: ‘Christine was getting ready for work when she saw something coming through the letter box. It was an engineer who said there was a major gas leak and they had to evacuate us.’
By 2pm, Dave was still waiting to hear if they could return to the house.
‘They said they weren’t sure where the leak was and I would have to wait to see if I could go back home,’ he said.