Safety warning after barbecue sparks blaze in garden

editorial image
Share this article
This wreath for Gosport football coach Ronnie Williamson was destroyed - while his funeral was still taking place. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves

College vows launches ‘disciplinary action’ after wreath trashed at funeral

0
Have your say

A FIRE at a family barbecue has sparked a warning from firefighters.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue were called out after a barbecue and gas cylinder caught fire in a back garden.

Luckily, there was no explosion and firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control.

Jackie Boyle, community fire safety officer for West Sussex, said approved barbecue fuel or firelighters should always be used and never petrol or paraffin.

Any spent ash should be emptied on to bare soil, not into a dustbin.

When using a disposable barbecue make sure the coals are completely cold before disposal.