Portsmouth will host the Great South Run for the 25th time this weekend. Here are seven things you might not know about the event.
1. This is the 26th Great South Run, as the first event was staged in Southampton in 1990, before moving to Portsmouth the following year
2. There are over 100 charities involved in the Great South Run, and 24 of them will be meeting runners in the charity village once they cross the finish line
3. The most popular first names of the runners are Sarah and David
4. 90,000 bottles of Aqua Pura water and 50,000 bottles of Lucozade Sport will be handed out to thirsty runners
5. An average sized runner will burn around 1,200 calories over the 10 miles of the Great South Run
6. It’s the only 10 mile running event in the world to have achieved IAAF gold label status
7. Previous winners include Paula Radcliffe, Sonia O’Sullivan and Mo Farah – who won the men’s race in 2009