Dog wardens are warning people to take extra care when buying dogs and puppies after a severely neglected spaniel used for breeding was found straying in Southbourne, near Chichester.
The spaniel, which Chichester District Council’s Dog Wardens have named Poppy, was suffering with an advanced case of mange.
Mange is caused by a burrowing mite that can be passed to humans.
In Poppy’s case it has caused considerable damage including hair loss, thickened infected skin and causing the skin to split in places. She was incredibly uncomfortable, sore and itchy.
Poppy was taken to the council’s kennels and is now undergoing treatment. A happy, friendly little dog, Poppy is expected to make a full recovery.
Councillor Roger Barrow, Cabinet Member for Environment at Chichester District Council, says: “This poor dog’s advanced case of mange is not often seen these days and our Dog Wardens were shocked at just how badly neglected she was.
“Sadly, she has been used for breeding and we are urging prospective owners to play their part in helping to prevent dogs being neglected in this way.
“We recommend that anyone looking to buy a puppy sees the puppy with the mother dog and the rest of the litter when the pups are two to four weeks of age and then again at six to eight weeks of age.
“Good breeders won’t mind prospective owners visiting and it helps to ensure the puppies and mum are in a healthy environment.”
Anyone with concerns should contact the council’s Dog Wardens on 01243 534734 or 01243 785166 out of office hours or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org