NEIGHBOURS have spoken of their shock after a woman was found dead in her fire-ravaged home.
Flames were spotted in the ground floor of the house in Woodsedge, Waterlooville, at 10.45am yesterday.
Firefighters and paramedics arrived to find the woman dead.
The road was cordoned off for several hours at the junctions with Jasmine Grove and Springwood Avenue.
Officers from the joint police and fire service arson task force could be seen inside and outside the house trying to piece together what happened.
Lindsay Grinnall, of nearby Lombardy Rise, said: ‘I walked past the house just a couple of hours before the fire.
I grew up on this estate and everyone knows everyone around here but we don’t know the person who died which is actually quite sad.Bradley Hughes
‘Then I went out in the garden to hang my washing out and saw thick smoke, and I looked down the road and saw all the fire engines.
‘It looked bad but it never crossed my mind that someone had died. It’s very sad.’
Thick black smoke could be seen across the Stakes estate and passers-by said flames could be seen out of the downstairs window of the house, which is set back from the road.
Bradley Hughes, 22, said: ‘We turned up to visit my parents at about 11am and all the fire engines and ambulances were there.
‘My mum had seen the smoke and it covered the whole area.
‘It’s a very sad thing to happen in this day and age.
‘I grew up on this estate and everyone knows everyone around here but we don’t know the person who died which is actually quite sad.
‘She kept herself to herself. It’s sad that someone has passed away.’
The arson task force spent several hours at the property with part of the footpath outside cordoned off.
In a statement Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘Sadly, one person died at the scene.
‘We are working with Hampshire Constabulary to investigate the circumstances around the incident.
‘Our thoughts are with the family and friends at this difficult time.
‘We have two community safety officers to the area giving fire safety advice to support the local residents.’
Call police with information on 101.