Shoppers evacuated after gas leak in fridge

EVACUATED The scene at Hedge End
EVACUATED The scene at Hedge End
Chloe Postlethwaite, right, and Amber Kalliari

Two missing teenage girls may be in Gosport

Have your say

SHOPPERS were evacuated after breathing in gas from a leaking fridge at a retail park.

Customers and staff were evacuated from the Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer store at Hedge End just after 5pm today.

Emergency services said it was being treated as a major incident.

Police were called when people at the tills in Sainsbury’s started coughing and feeling ill.

A total of 62 people were treated by South Central Ambulance Service.

They confirmed that everybody had been accounted for and just one person was taken to hospital as a precaution.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside the store to tfind the gas leak.

Four appliances from Southampton and the Hazardous Materials Team were at the scene.

The surrounding shops in the area were cordoned off.