SHOPPERS were evacuated after a fire in a busy department store.
It was the second time that an evacuation took place in Debenhams in Commercial Road, Portsmouth today.
The shop closed at 12.30pm when an electrical fire was discovered in the cosmetic hall.
Shoppers were evacuated and three crews from Southsea and Cosham fire stations were sent to put out the fire.
A spokesman for the fire service said: ‘The fire was extinguished before we got there with an extinguisher.
‘We are currently inspecting the property and we have contacted the ambulance service as one person appears to be suffering from smoke inhalation.’
The first incident took place at 11am. A fire alarm sounded and shoppers were evacuated. A crew from Southsea fire station went to the store.
They were unable to find the cause of the fire and the shop reopened shortly after.