Smoke detector saves man’s life

Share this article
A main road has been closed off after a suspected bomb was found

COUNTY: Urgent police hunt begins after raiders steal shotguns

Have your say

A MAN escaped from a fire at his home in Fareham thanks to his smoke detector alerting him.

The fire broke out at roughly 5am yesterday in a bungalow in Longmynd Drive after an electrical fault in 
an appliance started the blaze in the kitchen.

The man, who has not been named by firefighters, was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital suffering from severe smoke inhalation.

Firefighters from Fareham attended and a fire engine from Cosham was also sent out to provide the crew with a fan 
to ventilate the smoke out from the property.

The fire took around 20 minutes to put out, but the crews remained there until around 6.30am.

A spokesman for the Fareham fire station said: ‘It was the smoke detector which alerted him and saved his life.’