Southsea Common barbecue fire prompts safety warning

Share this article
Police in Middle Street, Portsmouth, over the weekend.

Attempt murder probe: second man arrested

Have your say

PORTSMOUTH City Council has warned people not to put hot barbecues in plastic bins on Southsea Common.

The council has left plastic yellow bins in popular barbecue locations as people flock to the common in the warm weather. But after one bin caught on fire and was destroyed by someone using it to dispose of a barbecue, officials are advising residents to use permanent barbecue bins provided by the council.

David Evans, seafront manager said: ‘There are special bins provided for barbecues – please don’t use the yellow bins on the common.

‘The majority of people are using their common sense, because it states they’re not designed to take hot materials, and doing so could cause a serious fire risk.’

Jack Adams, 37, lives in Clarence Parade next to the barbecue sites and said: ‘I think vandals caused the damage. It’s hard to believe anyone would accidentally put a hot barbecue in a plastic bin.’