Southsea firefighters tackle blaze caused by saucepan oil

Share this article
Jon Venables pictured after his arrest in 1992

Thousands back Waterlooville gran’s plea to jail James Bulger’s killer for life

0
Have your say

A SAUCEPAN of cooking fat sparked a serious blaze in a flat.

Firefighters from Southsea were called to Winter Road at around 6pm yesterday.

The road was blocked for about an hour while three fire engines and the station’s aerial ladder platform attended.

Crew manager Rikki Noble said: ‘Luckily they had a working smoke alarm which gave them plenty of notice.

‘They were also sensible enough to close the kitchen door so the fire was contained.

‘Heating up oil in a saucepan is a very dangerous thing to do and we would always advise people to use oven chips instead.’